Cranberry Orange Bread
Contributed by: NAPSA
From the Kitchen: Say Thanks With A Home-Baked Gift
(NAPSA) - 'Tis the season for caroling, entertaining and gift giving. Whether the holiday occasion is a festive brunch or dinner at a friend's home, a gift for the host is a perfect way to say "thank you."
Skip the traditional bottle of wine and bring a home-baked gift from the kitchen. It's a great way to add a personal touch and make your gift more memorable than something bought in a store.
Quick breads are an excellent baked good to give because they're simple and delicious. Quick breads don't require kneading or rising because they're yeast-free, and most can be assembled in 10 to 15 minutes.
For the best-tasting quick breads, follow these foolproof baking tips:
- Forget the electric mixer with a basic quick bread recipe. Use a whisk and spatula.
- Use a non-stick baking spray with flour, like Baker's Joy, so your home-baked gifts come out of the pan, perfect every time.
- Baked goods bake more evenly in the center of your oven. When baking more than one item, place them in the center, leaving one inch between them.
- All ovens are not created equal. Purchase an oven thermometer to be sure your temperature is accurate.
- Cool quick breads on a wire rack. This allows the bread to cool on all sides.
Try some simple and creative ideas when packaging your home-baked creation. For example, gift wrap baked goods on a holiday serving plate, or put them in decorative bags with gift tags and write seasonal messages on them with a silver paint pen for a festive look. Visit bakersjoy.com for more gift-giving tips, delicious recipe ideas and free downloadable gift tags.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Juice with from one orange combined with water to make 1 cup
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Grated orange rind from 1 orange
Preheat oven to 350 F (160 C), spray 9"x5"x3" pan with Baker's Joy.
Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and juice mixture, mix well.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together; add to butter mixture.
Fold in cranberries and grated orange to mixture.
Pour in pan, bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan; cool on cake rack, slice.