Southern Three Bean Salad #3
Contributed by: Robert Cerello
Many three bean combinations are possible; this sprightly dish was inspired by our trip to New Orleans. home of the red bean and Cajun spices.
- 1 15-ounce can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup + drained canned red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup+ drained pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded, chopped, some sweeter types
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/3 tsp. sugar
- Medium cheddar cheese, grated
- Provolone cheese, grated, about the same amount
- Peccorino Romano cheese, about half as much as of the other cheeses
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Season with salt, sugar and pepper, as desired.
Adjust seasonings, as needed, to taste.
This dish can be made four hours ahead, and refrigerated. Cover and chill.
When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator for fifteen minutes or serve cold.
Serve with dry white wine and a Mditerranean bread of choice.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings