Crimson California Pomegranate Jelly
Contributed by: News Canada
Time to Table: 20 Minutes Prep. - 2 Hours Cooling
- Juice from 4-6 large California Pomegranates* or 2 cups POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice
- 1/4 arils from 1 large Pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 packet liquid fruit pectin or half of a 1 3/4 oz. package powdered fruit pectin
- 4 cups granulated sugar
Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). Arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put arils in separate bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
In a 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, combine pomegranate juice, lemon juice and pectin. Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Stir in sugar all at once, and then stir constantly. Heat mixture again until it comes to a full rolling boil; boil 1 minute over medium-high heat.
Remove from heat and skim foam from jelly with a spoon. Discard foam.
Immediately ladle jelly into clean jelly jars with lids, or refrigerator containers with tight-fitting lids. Sprinkle reserved arils over the top of each container of jelly. Cover tightly.
Let stand 45 minutes to cool, then refrigerate for 1 1/4 hours.
If not using immediately, refrigerate for up to 4 to 6 weeks or freeze for up to 1 year.
For other delicious recipes, visit www.pomegranates.org or www.pomwonderful.com.
* For 1 cup of juice, cut 2-3 California pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Serving Size: Makes 4 & 1/2 Cups