Tailgating Like A Pro
Contributed by: NAPSA
(NAPSA) - Whether or not you're a sports fan, tailgating can be a delicious tradition-particularly when the days are crisp and friends and family gather together.
The key to a good tailgate is serving foods with lots of taste that are simple to make. For instance, Jarlsberg Ham Apple Pie is easy to put together and a fan favorite. Thaw a frozen pie shell, then simply layer the ingredients-including zesty apples bursting with flavor-and bake. The secret is mellow, nutty, smooth melting Jarlsberg cheese. It helps blend ingredients and adds calcium. 50% reduced-fat Jarlsberg Lite works well, too. Here's the recipe:
Jarlsberg Apple Ham Pie
- 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish pie shell (homemade or frozen)
- 6 cups peeled, sliced tart apples (such as Granny Smith)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 1 cup diced lean cooked ham
- 2 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/3 cup minced scallions (or green onions)
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH ground allspice and ground ginger
If using a frozen pie shell, thaw according to package directions.
Arrange half the apples in shell. Top with half the cheese, ham, bacon and scallions. Repeat for a second layer.
Beat together eggs, milk, salt and spices. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 40-50 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serves 6 as a main dish, 8 as a side.
Toss a four-bean salad with a bit of extra cheese for good measure, pack your favorite beverage and you're ready to go.
Jarlsberg Four Bean Salad
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 10-ounce package cut green beans, cooked until crisp and drained
- 10-ounce package lima beans, cooked and drained
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 pound Jarlsberg cheese, cut in thin strips
In large bowl, toss together all (8) ingredients. Prepare dressing (below). Pour over salad and toss to blend. Cover and refrigerate to chill well before serving.
Whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil with 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar. Add 1 clove minced garlic, 1 teaspoon brown sugar plus salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until well blended.
Makes 8 Servings