Delicious Pumpkin Pie
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This traditional fall favourite never goes out of style. Top with a dollop of whipped cream... and enjoy.
- 1 envelope ROBIN HOOD Flaky Pie Crust Mix or CRISCO No Fail Pastry for single-crust pie
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) pumpkin purée
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (250 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (2 mL)
- 1 cup light (10%) cream or evaporated milk (250 mL)
- Whipped cream to garnish
PREHEAT oven to 450 F (230 C).
PREPARE pastry according to package directions for unbaked 9-inch (23cm) pie shell using half the dough. Save remaining half of pastry for another pie.
In large bowl, whisk eggs well. Add remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Pour into prepared pie shell.
BAKE on lower oven rack (one rack below centre) at 450 F (230 C) for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 F (180 C) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer or just until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped cream.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Baking Time: 50 minutes
Freezing: not recommended
- For an attractive presentation sprinkle a little candied ginger on the whipped cream.
- Replace cinnamon and ginger with 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) pumpkin pie spice.
- Recipe can be doubled for 2 pies.
- Be sure to use pure pumpkin purée not pumpkin pie filling.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings