Basic Garbanzo Salad a la Robert
Contributed by: Robert Davd (Michael) Cerello
This recipe was created to be fast, easy to make and a good accompaniment to any Greek or Italian meat dish or rice-pasta-salad base.
- 1 can good-quality chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and patted dry with paper towel
- spinach or Romaine and green leaf lettuce, about 1/2 large bunch, torn very small
- 2 or 3 green onions, sliced across, with 1/2 the green portion
- 1 large sweeter tomato, cut up roughly and small
- 1/2 precooked brown onion, sauteed on olive oil, cooled and cut on the bias into 3/4" slices (optional)
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled, diced small
- 1/2 presauteed yellow pepper, cooled and diced
- herbs of choice as desired
- Italian dressing of choice
- feta cheese, about 1/4 lb. crumbled on top
- fresh basil, torn very small, to taste
Saute onion and pepper the day before.
Cut up larger ingredients into bowls in order stated.
To the bowl of spinach or lettuces, add first the chick peas then green onion, yellow pepper, brown onion, tomato and herbs in that order.
Mix at each addition, slowly, to perfect distribution.
Add dressing; mix once more, adjusting herbs one final time.
Allow to sit in refrigerator for two hours or preferably overnight.
Add brown sugar as needed, if Italian dressing is too strong.
Crumble feta cheese on just before serving.
Serve with Mediterranean bread, butter if desired and add diced meat, medium cheddar cheese or both.
Serve this dish with whole wheat pita bread, Mediterranean bread, medium dry white wine or sun tea. I use it atop thin spaghetti broken in thirds or jasmine rice or Romain lettuce also.
Serving Size: Makes 3 - 4 Servings