Spiced Date Rice Pudding
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Eating healthier doesn't have to mean you have to give up on great taste. This recipe highlights how you can create delicious, low-fat, organic alternatives to classic recipes using natur-a soy or rice milks as a non dairy alternative.
- 1 container (946 mL) natur-a soy vanilla (4 cups)
- 125 mL sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 mL ground cardamom (1/4 tsp.)
- 2 mL ground nutmeg (1/2 tsp.)
- 2 mL ground cinnamon (1/2 tsp.)
- 160 mL short grain rice, rinsed (2/3 cup)
- 1 egg
- 125 mL pitted dates, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 60 mL slivered almonds, roasted (1/4 cup)
In a saucepan heat natur-a with half of sugar and half of spices.
Add rice and cook in the soymilk mixture, stirring often with a wooden spoon until rice is tender (from 30 to 40 minutes on low heat).
Beat egg with remaining sugar. Temper egg mixture with a small portion of hot soy milk and pour entire egg mixture into saucepan, stirring constantly.
Remove saucepan from heat after mixture thickens.
Add dates and almonds. Mix well.
Divide pudding in small bowls or ramekins, sprinkle with remaining spices and let cool
Serve lukewarm or at room temperature. For more organic alternatives to classic recipes visit www.nutrisoya.com.
Serving Size: Makes 4 - 6 Servings