Salmon and Pesto Chowder
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - If you're looking to adjust your diet to include more nutritious foods, this recipe will put you on the fast track to better health. Packed with nutrition, this recipe uses natur-a soymilk as a non-dairy alternative to create a low-fat organic alternative to a traditional soup recipe.
- 30 mL vegetable oil (2 tbsp.)
- 1 onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, chopped 1 celery stalk, diced
- 125 mL green beans, sectioned (1/2 cup)
- 125 mL corn kernels (1/2 cup)
- 375 mL fish bouillon (1 1/2 cup)
- 375 mL natur-a soy original (1 1/2 cup)
- 125 mL tomato sauce (1/2 cup)
- 225g to 300g (1/2-2/3 lb.) fresh salmon, cubed salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 80 mL 15% country style (1/3 cup) cream (optional) homemade basil pesto or fresh basil
Heat oil in a large saucepan and gently sauté vegetables over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
Add fish bouillon, natur-a and tomato sauce. Bring to boiling point, but do not let mixture boil.
Add fresh salmon and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add pesto and season mixture with salt and pepper.
Add cream and seasonings to taste.
Garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately with a piece of lemon.
To thicken the consistency of this dish, add a cubed potato or rice boiled in warm bouillon. Natur-a lite original soymilk can also be used for this recipe. For a recipe lower in fat, omit cream and thoroughly skim fat from fish bouillon. For more organic alternatives to classic recipes visit www.nutrisoya.com.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings