Strawberry and Cranberry Muffins
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - A delight for parents and kids, these muffins will make nutritious snacks for back to school lunches.
- 60 mL vegetable oil (1/4 cup)
- 180 mL cranberries, fresh or frozen (3/4 cup)
- 180 mL strawberries, fresh or frozen (3/4 cup)
- 45 mL sugar (3 tbsp.)
- 375 mL all-purpose flour (1 1/2 cup)
- 375 mL whole wheat flour (1 1/2 cup)
- 250 mL rolled oats (1 cup)
- 15 mL baking powder (1 3 tbsp.)
- 7 mL baking soda (1 1/2 tsp.)
- 160 mL brown sugar (2/3 cup)
- 60 mL pecans, chopped and roasted (1/4 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 500 mL natur-a soy strawberry (2 cups)
- 80 mL vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F). Grease and flour a large muffin cup pan or use individual paper liners.
In a frying pan, heat oil on medium-high heat and cook strawberries and cranberries until tender. Add sugar to balance the bitterness of cranberries. Let cool.
In a large bowl mix dry ingredients and form a well in the centre.
In another bowl beat eggs and gradually add natur-a and vegetable oil. Blend in prepared strawberries and cranberries.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until mixture is completely blended. Avoid over-mixing.
Divide batter among muffin moulds (each mould should be 3/4 full). Cook in centre of oven for 17 to 20 minutes or until muffins are golden and bounce back when lightly pressed with fingertips. For more low-fat, nutritious and organic alternatives to classic recipes visit www.nutrisoya.com.
Serving Size: Makes 12 Large Muffins