The Sandwich: A Mealtime Favorite
Contributed by: NAPSA
(NAPSA) - From busy moms to active kids, today's consumers are constantly on the go. Recognizing the need for convenient foods that can be prepared quickly, food makers have created a wide variety of handheld foods perfect for busy lifestyles.
Since the innovation of pre-sliced bread in the early 1900s, sandwiches, in particular, have become a satisfying solution to a portable meal.
But what's the hottest thing to hit stores since sliced bread?
- Prepackaged crustless bread
- Italian-style grilled sandwiches called paninis
- Sub-style sandwiches from the microwave, such as Hot Pockets(r) brand Philly Steak & Cheese Subs.
The answer? All of the above!
According to smartbread.com and foodreference.com, the average American enjoys 193 sandwiches per year, totaling over 300 million sandwiches consumed on a daily basis. Americans love sandwiches due to their ease and convenience. And although 51 percent of all sandwiches are consumed at lunch, they can also be a snack for any time of the day.
No matter what time of day, for many kids, a sandwich can only be eaten one way-without the crust. In fact, research shows that 37 percent of kids ask to have the crust removed from their bread, which is why supermarkets and food companies alike now offer prepackaged crustless bread.
Stores are also capitalizing on preferences for hot sandwiches by offering Italian-style grilled paninis on their fresh deli menus. And with the growing popularity of heated sub-style sandwiches, families can now find microwavable subs in the freezer section.
Over the years, sandwiches have become one of the most versatile American staples. The following tips offer some ideas for preparing a unique sandwich of your own.
- Remove the rough edges. Whether you buy prepackaged loaves of crustless bread or remove the crust in one quick motion with a crustless sandwich cutter, your choosy kids will enjoy eating sandwiches made just the way they like it!
- Add warmth and texture. Use a sandwich grill to transform even the most ordinary sandwiches, such as peanut butter and jelly, into a warm and toasty treat.
- Stock up on convenience. If you're short on time, fill your freezer with microwavable sub-style stuffed sandwiches, such as Hot Pockets(r) and Lean Pockets(r) brand Subs. With seven new varieties, including Philly Steak & Cheese and Meatballs & Mozzarella, sandwich lovers can enjoy the latest trend-in just two minutes!
With so many tasty sandwich options to choose from, Americans will continue to rank this food item as one of their mealtime favorites.