Watermelon Crab Cups
Contributed by: News Canada
Savoury meets sweet (NC) - By combining the sweet taste of watermelon with the savoury flavour of a rich crab filling, these Watermelon Crab Cups create a wonderful taste sensation perfectly suited to a brunch or lunch.
Born from the mind of Chef Harry, cookbook author and host of the popular PBS cooking show "Chef Harry & Friends", this simple recipe delivers on both taste and presentation.
- 6 to 8 watermelon cups (see method)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise 125 mL
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish 125 mL
- 1 tsp minced fresh dill 5 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped celery 125 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions 125 mL
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped or grated 2
- 1 lb cooked crabmeat, rinsed and picked over for shell 500 g
Make the watermelon cups by cutting 3-inch (7.5 cm) tall and 3-inch wide cylinders of seedless watermelon. Hollow out the cylinders to form 'cups' reserving the watermelon from the center for another use or to snack on while cooking.
Once the cups are made, keep them on a paper towel until ready to fill and serve. The cups can be made ahead of time and covered on a tray and refrigerated until ready.
Make the filling by mixing together the mayonnaise, relish, dill, celery, scallions and eggs. Fold in the crab.
Fill the watermelon cups and enjoy.
Serving Size: Makes 6 to 8 Servings