Apple Blondies With Caramel Icing
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Camilla Maw - winner of the 2004 Robin Hood Beginner's Best Lunch Box Snack, Elmvale Fall Fair, Ontario.
Camilla's recipe is full of interesting flavours and textures. For a lighter snack, just omit the icing.
- 2/3 cup butter, softened 150 mL
- 2 cups packed brown sugar 500 mL
- 2 eggs 2
- 1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
- 2 cups Robin Hood All Purpose Flour 500 mL
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apples (1 large) 250 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts 125 mL
- 1/2 cup butter 125 mL
- 1 cup packed brown sugar 250 mL
- 1/4 cup milk 50 mL
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted 500 mL
To make blondies, cream butter and brown sugar in a bowl until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, apples and nuts. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Spread batter in a greased 13"x9" (33cm x 23cm) baking pan. Bake at 350º F (180º C) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until set and golden. Let cool slightly before icing.
To make icing, melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the brown sugar and milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat; let cool and stir in the icing sugar. Spread onto cooled blondies.
Cut into squares and serve.
Preparation time: 30 minutes, Baking Time: 35 minutes, Makes: about 3 dozen blondies, Freezing: excellent