Chocolate Peanut Oat Squares
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Nick Villeneuve - winner of the 2004 Robin Hood Beginner's Best Lunch Box Snack, Stormont County Fair, Apple Hill, Ontario.
Loaded with oats, and topped with perennial favourites, chocolate and peanut, Nick baked up a winning combination for the Robin Hood taste testers, as well as the judges at the fair.
- 1 cup butter 250 mL
- 1 cup packed brown sugar 250 mL
- 1/2 tsp vanilla 2 mL
- 3 cups Robin Hood or Old Mill Quick Oats 250 mL
- 1/2 cup corn syrup 125 mL
- 1 cup Robin Hood All Purpose Flour 250 mL
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 250 mL
- 3/4 cup JIF creamy peanut butter 175 mL
- 1/3 cup ground or very finely chopped peanuts 75 mL
Preheat oven to 350º F (180º C). Place butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat until ingredients are melted and mixed well. Remove from heat. Stir in oats, syrup and flour. Mix well.
Spread oat mixture into a greased 13" x 9" (33cm x 22cm) cake pan. Bake on the centre rack for 15 - 20 minutes or until light golden and set. Cool slightly before adding topping.
Combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and peanuts in medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, stir until smoothly melted. Spread over base layer. Let stand until set.
Preparation time: 20 minutes, Baking time: 20 minutes, Freezing: excellent
Serving Size: Makes 54 Squares