Thin Mint Turtles
Contributed by: NAPSA
Creative Kitchen Fun With Cookies And Ice Cream
(NAPSA) - Looking for a fun way to get kids out of their shell? How about with tasty turtles, whipped up in the kitchen with cupcakes, ice cream and jellybeans?
That sort of creativity is the key to a popular contest that gives kids the opportunity to put together delicious snacks and original desserts that could also win them prizes-including a year's supply of ice cream and everything needed for an outdoor camping adventure or a home library-or possibly tools to outfit a young chef.
The Dreyer's/Edy's Junior Chef Recipe Quest Contest is looking to "scoop" up some of that pint-sized creativity and find original recipes.
And what better ingredient to start with than ice cream inspired by those perennial favorites, Girl Scout Cookies?
Children ages 8 to 12 are invited to submit original recipes featuring one of the following five flavors: Dreyer's/Edy's Girl Scouts(r) Tagalongs(r), Thin Mint, Samoas(r), Thin Mint Light or Samoas(r) Light Cookie Ice Creams. Recipes must be fun to make, have interesting ingredients and taste good.
A portion of the proceeds from the sale of each carton, available nationwide through the end of April, goes to support Girl Scouting.
Here's a sample recipe for some sweet inspiration:
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- Dreyer's/Edy's Girl Scouts(r) Thin Mint Cookie Ice Cream
- Green mint frosting
- Black decorating icing
- 12 large jellybeans
- 24 small candy-coated chocolate pieces
Split cupcakes horizontally. Spread tops of cupcakes with frosting and decorate with icing in cross pattern to look like a turtle shell.
Top bottom half of split cupcakes with ice cream so the cake looks like a short-legged turtle. Then top with remaining decorated cupcake halves. For each turtle, press jellybean into ice cream so that it peeks out of the "shell" for the head and add chocolate pieces for the eyes.
About The Contest
Original recipes for the contest should be classified in one of two categories: "After-School Snack" or "My Favorite Dessert." Entries must be received by April 4, 2005. Four pint-sized chefs will be awarded a year's supply of Dreyer's/Edy's ice cream and their choice of one of the following gift packages:
- Cooking in the Kitchen-Features all the right tools for an up-and-coming chef-kid-friendly kitchen utensils, a one-of-a-kind apron and hat, a treasure trove of cookbooks, a variety of delicious ingredients, ready-to-go cookie and muffin mixes and more.
- Outdoor Camping Adventure-Includes everything you need for your next camping expedition...a tent, sleeping bag, flashlight, cooler, an assortment of outdoor games, camping books and more.
- My Home Library-A dream for any young reader. Features a collection of books, a personalized bookshelf, a special reading chair, lamp and more.
Of the four finalists, the grand prize winner will have his or her recipe featured on the carton of one of Dreyer's/Edy's Girl Scout Cookie Ice Cream flavors in 2006 and will receive a $500 U.S. Savings Bond (in addition to the prizes listed above). Winners will be announced in May, 2005.
For additional contest details, visit www.IceCream.com.
Serving Size: Makes 12 Turtles