Kare Kare (Ox Tail)
Contributed by: Kumain Kumain of Filipino Recipes
- 1 oxtail (3-5 lbs.)
- 5 tbsps. oil
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- water from 1/4 cup achuete, soaked
- 1 banana heart, sliced crosswise
- 2 bundles sitaw, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 eggplants cut into 1/2inch slices
- 1/3 cup rice, toasted brown in a pan and ground to a powder
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Cut oxtail into 3 inch pieces.
Boil once and discard water. Boil again until tender.
Saute garlic and onion in oil.
Add achuete water, sautéed garlic and onions to meat and bring to a boil.
Add vegetables and enough water to make a sauce.
Add the powdered rice and peanut butter dissolved in 3/4cup water into the meat.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serving Size: Makes 2 Servings