Golden Quinoa Salad with Mango & Walnuts
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Nutritious and delicious, this recipe is made with California Walnuts and quinoa, the ancient grain of the Incas. Quinoa was so highly revered for its nourishing and delicious qualities that it was called the Mother Grain. This salad is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, and B6, folacin, magnesium, iron, zinc and a good source of thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt 75 mL
- 2 tbsp lime juice 30 mL
- 1 tbsp minced gingerroot 15 mL
- 2 tsp curry powder 10 mL
- 1/2 tsp each, salt and pepper 2 mL
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 50 mL
- 1 cup quinoa 250 mL
- 2 ripe mangoes, chopped 2
- 1 red pepper, sliced 1
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced 1
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped 1
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint 75 mL
- 1 cup California Walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped 250 mL
In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, ginger, curry, salt, pepper and oil. Set aside. Salad: Add quinoa to a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Cook 10 minutes.
Pour quinoa into a fine strainer, reserving cooking liquid. Return cooking liquid to pan and place quinoa, in strainer, over cooking liquid. Cover with lid or foil and continue to steam about 10 minutes more or until quinoa is tender. Let cool.
In bowl, combine quinoa and dressing until well combined. Gently stir in mango, red pepper, green onion, chilies, mint and walnuts.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 12.7 g protein, 37.2 g fat, 57.1 g carbohydrates, 6.1 mg iron, 127 mg calcium, 770 mg sodium, 7.8 g fibre, 582 calories.