Butternut Squash And Spinach Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
- 1 1/2 tbsp Becel light margarine
- 1 Leek (pale green and white part only), sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp hot chili flakes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 small carrot
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cups chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
In a large saucepan or soup pot, heat margarine over medium heat. Add leeks and garlic. Sauté until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Stir in chili flakes, cumin, squash and carrots, stirring for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Stir in spinach and simmer uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with hot pepper sauce and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes - Cooking Time: 30 minutes