Marchino Cherry Coconut Cake with Pecans
Contributed by: Joy White of TeeterKats Kitchen
This is my dream dessert; I created it with delectable and imaginative ingredients. This delicious sheet cake melts in your mouth. It features a tried and true Duncan Hines mix, however any white cake mix may be used. When I take it to an event, only a few crumbs are left.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 pkg. Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
- 1 (3.4 to 3.9 oz)pkg vanilla instant
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup juice from Maraschino Cherries
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups drained and chopped Maraschino Cherries
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 stick butter, softened to room temp.
- 1-8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-16 ounce package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped Maraschino cherries,drained
- 1 or 2 drops of red food coloring (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 F for metal or glass pan, 325 F for dark or coated pan.
Grease with shortening the sides and bottom of a 15 X 10 sheet cake baking pan. Flour lightly.
In an electric mixer, blend cake mix with pudding, then add egg whites, juice and oil in large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add chopped pecans, coconut and cherries to batter. Stir until thoroughly blended. Pour batter into pan and bake immediately.
Bake cake for 32-35 minutes. Baking time may vary. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Start checking for doneness after 25 minutes.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Beat butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add flavorings. Mix well. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Carefully fold in pecans and maraschino cherries.
Makes 4 1/2 Cups
Cake is better if made on day prior to serving. Also, cake freezes well.