Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - There's a nip in the air, the sound of rustling leaves underfoot, skating season is underway again...and nothing says fall is here quite like a bowl of chili. This chili recipe will certainly provide a "warm" welcome after a cold day at the arena.
- 5 ancho chiles, rinsed, stems, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 1/2 cups water to cover chilies
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 cups diced white onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 2 jalapeno peppers, medium, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 pound ground beef, lean
- 3/4 pound ground pork, lean
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (10.5 oz. can) red kidney beans, canned, drained
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, low-fat (optional)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion (optional)
Place ancho chiles in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Transfer chiles and cooking liquid to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers. Cook until onions soften and turn translucent, about 10 minutes. Add in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, another 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the beef and pork, and cook until meat is no longer pink. Add cola, tomatoes, cumin, and pureed chiles; stir well to combine.
Bring mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 30 minutes.
Stir in beans and 1 tablespoon salt. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until mixture thickens, about 30 to 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste.
Ladle chili into warmed bowls and garnish with cheese, sour cream, and green onions if desired.
Serving Size: Makes 6-8 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per 1 Cup Serving: Cal: 301, Protein: 20g, Fat: 14g, Carb: 26g, Sodium: 1,215mg, Chol: 53mg, Sugar: 11g