California Pear Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Prosciutto
Contributed by: NAPSA
California Bartletts Are The Perfct Pear For Fall
(NAPSA) - Fall brings the changing color of leaves and cooler weather, but it doesn't mean that the fresh fruits of summer are gone. In fact, many of summer's delicious fruits are still available well into fall, including fresh California Bartlett Pears.
America's favorite pear, the California Bartlett is sweet and juicy and one of the most versatile fruits of the summer and fall. Whether baked in a pie, sliced into a fresh salad, pureed into a warm soup or even eaten alone, California Bartletts add a wonderful flavor and texture to a variety of recipes.
This year, California Bartlett pear growers got together to create the "All Our Best" brochure, featuring some of their favorite recipes including a warm Harvest Pear Crisp and a fresh and simple Bartlett Pear and Spinach Salad.
Included in the brochure is a scrumptious recipe for California Pear Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Prosciutto. Pears and prosciutto are a mouth-watering pizza-topping combination and are perfectly complemented by mozzarella cheese and sweet caramelized onions. These delicious pizzas are a great meal for four or a quick and easy appetizer for entertaining.
To request a brochure, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: "All Our Best" Pear Brochure, 1521 "I" St., Sacramento, CA 95814.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 individual size (4-inch) prepared pizza crusts
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 medium size, ripe California Bartlett pears, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped prosciutto
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes, or until onions are very soft and golden brown. Add sugar and cook for 5 minutes more.
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Place pizza crusts on a large baking sheet and top with equal amounts of mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions, pears, prosciutto and Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
Top with thyme and let cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve.
Ripening Tips for California Bartlett Pears
- Ripen California Bartlett pears in a bowl at room temperature
- Green and firm pears will take four to six days to ripen at room temperature (avoid refrigeration)
- Pears turning from green to yellow and losing their firmness are ready to eat in two to three days (unless your prefer eating firm, crunchy pears)
- When pears are golden yellow, they are at their ripest, juiciest, most flavourful stage
- Depending on the stage of ripeness, California Bartletts can hold in the refrigerator for almost a week.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Main-Dish Servings or 16 Appetizer Servings