Contributed by: Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes
This project is perfect for the artistically challenged or those who prefer instant gratification. My young sons completed theirs in just 15 minutes.
- Glass Votive (any size or shape)
- Solid Black Halloween Stickers (bats, witches, ghosts, etc.)
- Stencils, Stamps, and Black Acrylic Paint
- Orange Tissue Paper, Torn Into Pieces
- 2 TBSP White Glue
- 2 TBSP Water
- Craft Brush
1. Adhere stickers onto the outside of the votive -OR- If using
stencils or stamps, paint heavily enough that no light shines through
the shapes. Let dry completely.
2. Mix glue and water. Paint glue onto the outside of glass, on top
of the stickers.
3. While the glue is wet, layer pieces of tissue paper and glue
until the entire votive is covered and the tissue is saturated.
4. Turn the votive upside down to dry (a hairdryer speeds up the
5. Once dry, add a tea light and let the glow from these festive
candles welcome the neighborhood spooks.
About the Authors: Rondi Hillstrom Davis and Janell Sewall Oakes are
the co-authors of the award-winning book Together: Creating Family Traditions. To check out their website that's jam packed with family
ideas, visit http://www.togetherparenting.com
To subscribe to their online newsletter, go to