Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Potatoes are conquering new culinary territory as a major player on barbecue grills, in ovens and microwaves. Their popularity comes from their versatility and ability to adapt as a side to a multitude of meals as well as their superb nutritional base. Potatoes are low in fat and packed with nutrients like potassium and Vitamin C.
Potato Pie incorporates the yummy taste of potatoes with the creamy texture of cheese and the crunch of sweet peppers. Incorporate this as a side to your next salad or barbequed steak.
- 1 tbsp butter 15 mL
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced 3
- 1 large onion, diced [about 1-1/2 cups/375 mL] 1
- 1 cup mixed sweet peppers [green, red, yellow, orange], diced 250 mL
- 6 medium Ontario Potatoes, grated [about 2 lb/1 kg] 6
- 5 large eggs 5
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese 250 mL
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk 50 mL
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided 50 mL
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled 10 mL
In large microwaveable dish, melt butter for 1 minute at HIGH. Add garlic and onion, stir to coat and microwave an additional minute at HIGH. Add pepper; stir to combine and cook 1 minute at HIGH. Add potatoes, 1 cup [250 mL] at a time, stirring after each addition. Cook 5 minutes at HIGH. Stir mixture well and cook 5 minutes more at HIGH.
In large bowl, stir eggs, cottage cheese, milk, half of the Parmesan cheese, pepper and rosemary until well mixed. Add potato mixture and stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to a greased 9-1/2 inch [24 cm] glass pie plate. Microwave on HIGH 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top of pie and place in oven under broiler for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Ontario Produce Marketing Association.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings