Simple Hass Avocado And Tomato Salad
Contributed by: NAPSA
Cool Down With Simple Avocado Salad
(NAPSA) - Celebrate the season without laboring over the menu by turning to refreshing and versatile Hass avocados.
Barbecuers and tailgaters agree an ideal accompaniment to grilled meats is a cooling avocado salad.
This Simple Hass Avocado and Tomato Salad is not based on traditional lettuce, but rather combines the refreshing tastes of avocado and tomatoes and is dressed with lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Serve a large platter of this salad alongside a grilled entree, especially chicken and fish.
Try Hass avocados as slices in sandwiches, halved and filled with chicken salad or blended with chicken broth and cilantro for a refreshingly cold soup.
Available year-round, Hass avocados offer rich flavor that can stand alone as a sumptuous snack or mix well with the fresh fruits and vegetables of any season. When ripe, the avocado's dark, pebbly skin yields to gentle pressure. Simply cut the avocado in half, scoop out the seed, and slip a spoon between the flesh of the fruit and the skin to prepare for use.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced into half rounds
- 4 ripe tomatoes cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 can (5oz.) pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup crumbed queso fresco (use feta cheese as an optional substitute)
In small bowl combine lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, salt and pepper; set aside. Alternate sliced avocado and tomato on a plate. Add olives.
Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with queso fresco.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings