Cocoa Energy Bars
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - In March, the Peanut Bureau of Canada launched a nationwide recipe contest, Canada's Nuttiest Peanut Lover, encouraging Canadians to enter their favourite recipes that include peanuts and/or peanut butter for the chance to win some great prizes. Here is the winning recipe submitted by Andrea Holwegner, a registered dietitian from Calgary.
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter 175 mL
- 3/4 cup liquid honey 175 mL
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 175 mL
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 125 mL
- 1-1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal (not instant) 375 mL
- 1-1/4 cups crispy rice cereal 300 mL
- 1 cup dried cranberries, raisins or chopped dried apricots 250 mL
- 1 cup coarsely chopped unsalted peanuts 250 mL
Spray 13 X 9-inch (3 L) cake pan with cooking spray. In saucepan, combine peanut butter, honey, brown sugar and cocoa. Cook over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring often, or until smooth. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in oatmeal, cereal, dried cranberries (or your favourite dried fruit), and peanuts. Press batter firmly into prepared pan. Let cool; cut into 32 bars. Bars can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen.
Approximate values per bar: 150 calories, 3.5 g protein, 5.8 g total fat (of which 2.7g is monounsaturated), 21 g carbohydrates.