Asparagus Bacon Quiche
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - For the perfect spring breakfast, or a light, delicious lunch, try this easy, open-face pie. If time is short, bake ahead of time and warm slightly before serving.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- 1 lb. fresh Ontario asparagus cut into one-inch pieces
- 6 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 tbsp. sliced green onion
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. each of salt and pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
Line the unbaked pastry shell with a double thickness of aluminum foil. Bake at 450ºF for 5 minutes; remove foil. Bake 5 minutes more; remove from the oven and set aside. Cook asparagus in a small amount of water until tender-crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes; drain well.
Arrange the bacon and asparagus on the crust. In a bowl combine the beaten eggs, cream, 1/2 cup cheese, onions, sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over asparagus. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350ºF and continue baking for 23 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Serving Size: Makes 6-8 Servings