Costa Rican Coconut Squares
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
Rich with the intense flavor of winter dried fruits, these chewy squares mix together in minutes. Use your favorite nuts or seeds such as sunflower seeds.
- 3 cups flaked coconut 750 mL
- 1 cup toasted corn flake cereal 250 mL
- 1 cup mixed nuts 250 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped dates 125 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots 125 mL
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind 5 mL
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 175 mL
- 2 tbsp Nescafé® Costa Rican Blend Instant Coffee granules 25 mL
- 2 tsp hot water 10 mL
- can (300 mL) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
Line 9-inch (2.5 L) square cake pan with foil; grease and set aside.
In bowl, combine coconut, cereal, nuts, dates, apricots and orange rind. Mix in flour thoroughly.
Dissolve coffee granules in water; stir into coconut mixture along with condensed milk. Spread
evenly in prepared pan.
Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Let cool slightly.
Cut into squares.
Serving Size: Makes 80 squares.
Nutritional Information: Per square: 50 Calories, 1 g Protein, 2 g Fat, 7 g Carbohydrate