Maple Marinated and Glazed Pork Kababs
Contributed by: News Canada
- 1 lb cubes (loin, leg or shoulder) 500 g (approx. 1 in. (2.5 cm) cubes)
- 6 tbsp maple syrup 75 mL
- 3 tbsp each olive oil and balsamic vinegar 50 mL
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced 2
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 3
- 4 bay leaves, broken in small pieces 4
- 1 tsp each dried sage and cracked black pepper 5 mL
- salt, to taste
- 1 zucchini, cut into 8 chunks 1
- 1 red pepper, cut in chunks 1
- 8 fresh pineapple chunks 8
Place pork cubes in a large plastic bag or in sealable container. Combine 1/4 cup (50 mL) maple syrup, 2 tbsp (25 mL) each olive oil and balsamic vinegar, plus shallots, garlic, bay leaves, sage, pepper and salt; mix well and pour over cubes. Close bag or container and marinate in the refrigerator, turning cubes occasionally, a minimum of 6 hours to a maximum of 24 hours.
Drain cubes, discarding marinade. Thread cubes on metal or on wooden skewers which have been pre-soaked in water for 1 hour alternating with zucchini, red pepper and pineapple chunks. With the lid closed, barbecue kabobs over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning often and basting with a mixture of 2 tbsp (25 mL) maple syrup, and 1 tbsp (15 mL) each olive oil and balsamic vinegar.