Sensational Strawberry-Mint Smoothie
Contributed by: NAPSA
Nutrition For The Whole Family
(NAPSA) - Anyone who's ever felt they have a slim chance of managing their weight should know they are not alone. According to the Surgeon General, more than two-thirds of Americans are overweight and 30 percent suffer from obesity.
While managing weight can be a challenge, following are tips to make good nutrition easy to master.
Food labels provide nutrition information for a 2,000-calorie diet, based on the USDA's recommendations. It's important to be mindful of the daily requirements for each family member to maintain a healthy weight.
- Most women and some seniors need 1,600-1,800 calories a day;
- Most active* men and teen boys require 2,800 calories a day;
- Children, teen girls, active* women and most men require about 2,200 calories per day.
*Active is defined as exercising an hour per day everyday.
Portion sizes have grown substantially within the last 30 years. What has become an acceptable amount of food in one sitting often exceeds daily calorie requirements.
To combat portion distortion:
- Develop visual guidelines for remembering portion sizes. For example, a portion of pasta or rice is 1/2 cup-the size of a small fist. A portion of meat is three ounces-the size of a deck of cards. Consult the USDA's Food Guide Pyramid at www.usda.gov/cnpp/ for more on recommended serving sizes.
- When cooking at home, immediately divide food into portions and refrigerate extras for meals the following day.
- When dining out, ask the waiter to wrap up half the meal to go before the entree comes to the table.
When preparing meals, look for recipes with nutrient-dense ingredients such as fresh fruit and calcium-rich dairy products. This one for Sensational Strawberry-Mint Smoothie from Nestle USA is low in calories and fat, and offers an energy boost the whole family will enjoy.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 packet Classic French Vanilla Nestle Carnation Instant Breakfast Nutritional Energy Drink
- 1 mint sprig, plus more for garnish
Place all ingredients in blender; cover. Blend until smooth. Garnish.
Serving Size: Makes 2 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 151 calories, 7 g total protein, 29 g total carbohydrates, 1.5 g total fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 0 g total saturated fat, 102 mg sodium, 4 g total dietary fiber