Sweet Potato, Apple and Walnut Muffins
Contributed by: NAPSA
A Healthy Change in Breakfast
(NAPSA) - Treat your kids to a healthy batch of Sweet Potato, Apple, and Walnut Muffins in the morning. Sweet potatoes have been labeled as an important source of nutrition.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed or 1 cup of fresh sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 3/4 cups chopped, peeled, baking apples
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside.
In another bowl, mix together the oil, brown sugar, egg, egg white, mashed yams, and milk until well mixed. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add yam mixture, stirring until moistened. Do not overmix.
Fold in the apples, raisins and walnuts. Spoon batter into paper lined or coated muffin tins, filling about three-fourths full.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.