Strawberry Curried Lamb
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Savory strawberries are really exciting when combined with lamb and curry.
It's best to use tender cuts of lamb (such as the leg or loin) for this
recipe because the cooking time is short. Serve over cooked noodles.
- 1 lb lean Ontario lamb, cubed (500 g)
- 3 cups fresh strawberries (750 ml)
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (15 ml)
- 1 tbsp curry powder (15 ml)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (2 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (25 ml)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup diagonally sliced celery (175 ml)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (125 ml)
Puree 1 cup (250 ml) of the strawberries; leave remaining berries whole or halve larger ones. Set aside. Combine flour, curry, thyme and salt; toss lamb cubes in flour mixture to coat, reserving any remaining flour mixture.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté lamb, onion, garlic and celery for about 3 minutes or until lamb is browned. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture; stir in chicken stock and pureed strawberries. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, over low heat until lamb is tender, about 20 minutes.
Stir in yogurt. Add reserved whole strawberries and heat through.
Preparation Time 15 minutes - Cooking Time 25 minutes
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings
Nutritional Information: Protein: 27 grams - Fat: 13 grams - Carbohydrates 289