Shrimp, Corn and Sweet Potato Soup
Contributed by: NAPSA
A Soup with Substance
(NAPSA) - Shrimp, corn and sweet potatoes blend to make a savory, satisfying soup with substance...a soup that's a meal in itself!
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups diced, peeled sweet potato (yam)
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (10-ounce) can chopped tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 cups fat-free canned chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled, medium shrimp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced green onions (scallions), optional
Coat a large pot with nonstick cooking spray and saute the onion, celery, garlic and green pepper until tender. Add the sweet potato, frozen corn, cream-style corn, tomatoes and green chilies, tomato paste and broth; bring the mixture to a boil.
Add the shrimp, bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking until the shrimp are done, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; garnish with the green onions, if desired, and serve.
Serving Size: Makes 12 Servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: Calories 153; Protein (g) 13, Carbohydrate (g) 26, Fat (g) 1, Calories from Fat (%) 6, Saturated Fat (g) 0, Dietary Fiber (g) 4, Cholesterol (mg) 81, Sodium (mg) 513