Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Nutritious Fuel For School
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Preparing a healthy lunch or snack for school doesn't have to be boring or time consuming. Here are a few simple tips to help you include foods to give your kids a nutritious energy boost during their school day!
- Fruit and vegetables are fun for kids to eat. Try apple slices with cream cheese and a sprinkle of cinnamon, celery sticks with cheese spread and raisins, or carrot sticks with tzatziki dip.
- Convenience snacks that offer empty calories often replace healthier food choices. Try to pack snacks that include nutrient dense foods from two of the four food groups:
- Whole wheat crackers with cheese or hummus
- Trail mix: cereal, granola, sunflower seeds and dried fruit
- Cottage cheese mixed with a fruit cup
- Milk pudding or yogurt with fresh berries kids can sprinkle on top
- Hard-boiled egg and melba toast
- Foods such as milk, cheese, yogurt, eggs and meat should be kept cool. An insulated lunch bag with frozen juice boxes or water bottles (that will thaw in time for lunch), or freezer ice packs should do the trick.