Festive Cherry Cranberry Cake
Contributed by: News Canada
Make this spectacular delight the "star" of your next holiday meal.
- 1 cup (250 ml) margarine
- 1 cup (250 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon rind
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups (500 ml) Five Roses Cake and Pastry Flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 can (540 ml) cherry cranberry pie filling
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) margarine
- 1 cup (250 ml) finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
In bowl cream together margarine, sugar, vanilla and lemon rind until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Sift flour and salt into mixture in 2-3 batches, mixing well after each. Spread evenly into greased 15 x 10" (39x29 cm) pan. Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for about 20 min. Run knife around edge; let stand 5 min. Remove from pan; cool.
In small saucepan melt margarine, add chocolate and stir until melted. Set aside.
To make layer cake, cut cake into thirds widthwise. Fill each layer with 1/3 of pie filling, stack layers ending with filling on top. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and dust with icing sugar.
For "free" recipes call Five Roses at 1-800-561-3455.