Chicken And Rice Phyllo Wraps
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - The moist chicken and rice filling can be prepared ahead, then wrapped and baked at the last minute.
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 lb ground chicken 500 g
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms 250 mL
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups cooked rice 750 mL
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese 250 mL
- 1 pkg (10 oz/284 g) fresh spinach, trimmed
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives 50 mL
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted* 50 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each: grated lemon rind and dried oregano 5 mL
- 12 phyllo pastry sheets
Coat large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot.
Add chicken, mushrooms and onion: cook 2 to 4 minutes until chicken is no longer pink and
vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add rice, ricotta cheese, spinach, olives, pine nuts,
garlic, lemon rind and oregano; cook stirring 3 to 4 minutes until well blended and thoroughly
Working with 1 phyllo sheet at a time, spray 1 sheet with cooking spray; fold sheet in half
lengthwise. Place 3/4 to 1 cup (175 mL to 250 mL) rice mixture on one end of phyllo strip. Fold
left bottom corner over mixture, forming a triangle. Continue folding back and forth into triangle
at end of strip.
Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and rice mixture.
Place triangles, seam side down, on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Coat tops of
each triangle with cooki.g spray.
Bake at 400°F (200°C) 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve
* To toast nuts, place on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F (180°C) 5 to 7 minutes or
until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Serving Size: Makes 12 servings.