Asparagus and Wild Rice Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This quick, creamy soup is a celebration of spring's first vegetable -- fresh, green
- 1/2 cup long-grain and wild rice mix 125 mL
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices 500g
- 3-3/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth 925 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- Pinch pepper
- 1 can (385 mL) Nestle(r) Carnation(r) Fat Free Evaporated Milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch 25 mL
- 2 tbsp dry white wine (optional) 25 mL
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley 75 mL
Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside.
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and asparagus; cook,
stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add rice, broth, salt and pepper;
bring to boil over medium-high heat.
In small bowl, mix a little of the evaporated milk with cornstarch until smooth. Add to sauce
pan along with remaining evaporated milk, and wine (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3
to 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley.
Broccoli and Wild Rice Soup: Substitute 2 cups (500 mL) of broccoli florets for the asparagus.
|To Make This Recipe Suitable For A Vegetarian Diet:|
Remove the Chicken Stock/Broth and leave Vegetable Stock.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving: 155 Calories, 8 g Protein, 3 g Fat, 24 g Carbohydrate