Grilled Chicken, Fennel & Ripe Olive Skewers
Contributed by: NAPSA
Smart Diet Choices Can Help Prevent Diabetes (NAPSA) - Olives can a) make meals more delicious, b) be a healthy part of a weight loss diet, c) "olive" the above.
The answer is "c" and that's important health information because losing weight may help reduce a person's risk of type 2 diabetes. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says type 2 diabetes affects 17 million Americans-a figure that's tripled in the last 30 years.
Here are some smart diet choices that may help you reduce weight and your risk of diabetes:
- Use healthy types of dietary fats, such as monounsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Avoid excessive saturated and hydrogenated fatty acids.
- Eat more whole grains, beans and legumes and less refined carbohydrates.
- Develop meals that are moderate in calories and appropriate in portion sizes to maintain or reduce weight in a healthy manner.
Here's a mouthwatering example of how California black ripe olives can add healthy flavor. The recipe is suitable for diabetics:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 11/2-inch pieces
- 1 fennel bulb, wedged and blanched in boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups Yukon gold potatoes, quartered and blanched
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/3 cups California Ripe Olives, whole, drained
- 1 cup nonfat, plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- bamboo skewers
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add next 4 ingredients and toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Set aside 36 California Ripe Olives. Place remaining olives in bowl of food processor, add yogurt, lemon zest and remaining pepper and pulse until combined. Stir in chives, cover & refrigerate. Soak skewers in water 15 minutes.
Make kebabs by threading skewers with olives, chicken, fennel, onion, potato, repeating to fill skewer. Grill over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes per side. Serve with yogurt olive dipping sauce.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings, 2 skewers per serving
Nutritional Information: Dietary exchanges: 1 starch, 3 meat. Calories 243, Total fat 6 g, Carb, 17 g, Calories from fat 22 percent, Sat fat <1g, Fiber 5g, Protein 31g.