Black Bean and Tofu Tostado
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
Short on time... money... and kitchen expertise? Fret no more. Delicious relief is in your hands! For the health-conscious collegian, The Starving Students' Vegetarian Cookbook
is the only guide you need. You'll find selections ranging from Almond Asparagus to Southern-Style Pasta to Pumpkin Pudding-and be totally surprised by a noncarnivorous lifestyle that's amazingly varied, tasty, and nutritious.
Diversity! Select from a delightful potpourri of veggie meals that are:
- Simple, easy to make, and use the fewest amount of pots possible
- Quick to cook-many done in fifteen minutes or less
- Perfect for microwave, hot plate, stove top, or toaster oven
- Cheaper than your wildest dreams!
Delicious Dining Without Fur Or Feathers
Meatless need not mean tasteless. And with this indispensable vegetarian chef's aid you'll be feasting on delectably nutritious, flesh-free meals the whole semester, the cheap 'n' easy way, made famous by the original, bestselling The Starving Students' Cookbook. Before you know it you'll be making:
- Apple Berry Pancakes - Twice Is Nice Stew - Quick-Fix Tomato Soup - Caribbean Red Beans and Rice - Sweet Pepper Fajitas - Mocha Cappuccino Freeze... and much more!
With The Starving Students' Vegetarian Cookbook, you'll never go hungry again.
- 1/2 cup uncooked frozen corn kernals
- 1/2 4-oz. can cut up green "ortega" chilies
- 1/2 cup green salsa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 4 oz. firm tofu, drained and patted dry with paper towels
- couple handfuls tortilla chips
- desired condiments: shredded cheese, sour cream, gaucamole, etc.
Requires a medium saucepan and a stovetop, takes 20 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, on medium-high heat, stir in corn, chilies, salsa, and drained black beans. Cook about 8 minutes, or until corn is cooked.
With fork, mash tofu to a soft and smooth paste. Add to vegetables and continue to cook 10 minutes until all is hot.
Serve over tortilla chips and top with your choice of condiments.
© 2001 by Dede Hall
© 2001 by Time Warner Bookmark
Serving Size: Makes 2 to 3 Servings