The Mansion On Turtle Creek Tortilla Soup
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 3 tablespoon corn oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into
- 1 long strips
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cup fresh onion puree
- 4 cup fresh tomato puree
- 5 dried new mexican chilies,
- 1 fire roasted and seeded
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon epazote, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 1/2 quart chicken stock
- 1 salt to taste
- 1 lemon to taste
- 1 cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cooked whole chicken breast,
- 1 skinless, boneless, and cut
- 1 into thin strips
- 1 large avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips and fried crisp
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add tortillas and garlic and saute until tortillas are crisp and garlic is golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add onion puree and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced by 1/2. Add tomato puree, roasted chilies, jalapenos, cumin, coriander, epazote, bay leaf, and chicken stock.
Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for approximately 40 minutes. Skim fat from surface, if necessary.
Process through a food mill to attain the perfect consistency or use a blender (soup may become thick; thin out with additional chicken stock).
Season to taste with salt, lemon and cayenne (optional).
Serving Size: Makes 10 to 12 servings