Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Contributed by: News Canada
- 2 1/2 cups Five Roses All Purpose Flour 625 ml
- 1 tsp each baking powder and baking soda 5 ml
- 2 tsp ground ginger 10 ml
- 1 cup butter, softened 250 ml
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar 300 ml
- 3 medium eggs well shaken 3
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 ml
- 1/2 cup lemon juice 125 ml
- 1/4 cup milk 50 ml
- 1 1/2 cups thawed, drained, wild blueberries 375 ml
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (optional) 50 ml
Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C).
Butter a 7 x 11-in (2 L) baking dish or 9-in (23cm) square baking pan. Combine flour with baking powder, baking soda and ginger. Beat butter until fluffy. Beat in sugar and add eggs. Stir in vanilla.
Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three additions, alternating with lemon juice and milk. Scrape down sides of bowl and stir just until ingredients are well combined. Fold in blueberries.
Spread batter into pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Dust with icing sugar if desired.