Picnic Sandwich Loaf
Contributed by: News Canada
- 3 1/2 cups Five Roses Flour with Wheat Bran 875 ml
- 2 envelopes (8g each or 2 tbsp/30ml) Instant Yeast 2
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar 25 ml
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 ml
- 1 cu0 water 250 ml
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard 50 ml
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine 25 ml
- 3 cups chopped cooked ham (about 1lb/500g) 750 ml
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese 250 ml
- 3/4 cup diced dill pickles 175 ml
- 1/4 cup chopped pimientos, well-drained 50 ml
- 1 egg, lightly beaten 1
Reserve 1 cup (250 ml) flour.
Mix remaining flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl. Heat water, mustard and butter until very warm (125 F/50 C). Stir warm liquid into dry ingredients. Mix in enough reserved flour to make a soft dough that does not stick to bowl. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Cover; let rest 10 minutes. To fill and shape loaf: Roll dough to 15x10-inch (38 x 25 cm) rectangle. Place on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle ham, cheese, dill pickles and pimientos over centre-third of rectangle. With sharp knife, make cuts from filling to dough edges at 1-inch (2.5 cm) intervals along sides of filling.
Alternating sides, fold strips at an angle across filling. Cover; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in size, about 10 to 40 minutes. Brush loaf with egg.
Bake in 375 F (190 C) oven about 35 minutes or until done. Remove from sheet to wire rack. Serve warm.