Thai Shrimp and Ontario Peach Skewers
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Reminiscent of a beach barbecue in Southern Thailand, these tangy flavored skewers are a cinch to make. Serve with Jasmine rice for an authentic Thai meal.
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce 75 mL
- 1/4 cup peach nectar 50 mL
- 3 tbsp lime juice 45 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander 30 mL
- 1 tbsp each: sesame oil and vegetable oil 15 mL
- 1 tsp fish sauce, optional 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried red chili pepper flakes 1 mL
- 24 jumbo shrimp with tails, if desired leave shell on 24
- 4 Ontario Peaches, pitted and cut into chunks 4
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-1/2-inch/3.5-cm lengths 4
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks 1
- 1 lime, quartered 1
- Cooked rice
Soak 4 skewers in cold water for 1 hour. In small bowl, combine soy sauce, nectar, lime juice, coriander, sesame and vegetable oil, fish sauce and chili pepper flakes.
In large bowl or plastic zip-lock bag, toss shrimp, peaches, onion and red pepper with half of dressing (reserve remainder for basting); marinate in refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes. Skewer shrimp, peaches, onion, red pepper and lime.
Grill, basting with remaining marinade and turning skewers often, until shrimp turn pink. Remove grilled limes and squeeze over shrimp.
Serve skewers over rice.
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings