Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Raise A Glass To Canada Day
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - One of the most anticipated events of summer is Canada Day. From small backyard barbecues to community fireworks to the spectacular Canada Day celebrations on Parliament Hill in our nation's capital, Canada Day is the biggest celebration of the summer. This year, as July 1st approaches, proudly wave the red and white Canadian flag and start your own Canada Day celebration traditions.
The Perfect Party For The Nation
- Simple tips that add a Canada Day theme to a backyard party this July 1st.
- Pre-roll cutlery in red and white napkins and leave at the end of the buffet line where it's needed
- Decorate your tables with red and white table cloths and serve food on red and white paper plates
- Make a patriotic centrepiece by arranging red and green maple leaves in a low bowl fitted with a piece of floral sponge
- Treat guests to a Canada Day loot bag with a small tube of sunscreen, a paper flag to wave, a lucky Canadian penny and an Ocean Spray Cranberry Cocktail to keep them refreshed throughout the festivities
Eat, Drink And Be Festive!
- Nothing says Canada Day like a flag inspired birthday cake and refreshing red and white beverages.
- Make an easy patriotic dessert by icing a simple white cake with whipped cream. Make a Canadian flag pattern from sliced Canadian strawberries and top with a sparkler for a festive touch
- Fill ice cube trays with Ocean Spray
- Cranberry Cocktail and White Cranberry Cocktail, freeze and add to the punch bowl or cocktail glasses for an easy patriotic touch
- Canada Day is a family celebration, so select beverages that can be served with or without alcohol to please both kids and adults and to save preparation time. A little sparkling soda will let kids feel special with their own "fizzy" drink
Celebrate The Nation!
- A patriotic celebration wouldn't be the same without party games and activities to keep your guests in the mood.
- Give everyone their own sparkler and as dusk falls, have everyone light their sparkler and sing "O Canada"
- Pin the leaf on the flag! Forget the donkey and its tail and create your own version of the popular birthday party game, by having kids pin the maple leaf on the Canadian flag
- Kids love arts and crafts. Place red and white paper plates, paper, ribbons, Canadiana stickers and anything else you desire on a table just for them and encourage them to make their own special Canada Day party hat
- Test your adult guests' patriotic knowledge with a fun Canadian trivia game. To get started, visit the Canadian Heritage website at www.pch.gc.ca for fun Canadian facts and our country's colourful history