Caramelized Pear Ginger Crisp
Contributed by: News Canada
Courtesy of canned U.S. Bartlett Pears
(NC) - Warm up to winter with a delicious dessert! Combining the sweet and savoury flavours of canned U.S. Bartlett pears and candied ginger, this recipe is perfect for a quick
weekday dessert or when entertaining family and friends.
- 2 cans (28 oz/ 796 mL) sliced U.S. Bartlett Pears well drained
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice 30 mL
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 125 mL
- 3 tbsp water 45 mL
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced candied ginger 50 mL
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (not instant) 175 mL
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 175 mL
- 2/3 cup brown sugar 150 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 7 mL
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon peel 5 mL
- 1/2 cup butter, melted 125 mL
- whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
Gently toss drained pears with fresh lemon juice; reserve.
Dissolve sugar in water in non-stick frying pan set over medium heat. Once bubbling, cook,
without stirring, until mixture turns amber, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat
immediately. Shielding your hand with a tea towel, pour the caramel over the pears and toss to
Add candied ginger and toss gently until combined. Spoon mixture into a lightly buttered
9-inch square baking dish.
Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and peel until mixed. Then, drizzle in melted
Stir until well combined. Sprinkle topping evenly over pears and bake at 375 F (190 C) for 40 to
45 minutes or until topping is golden and crisp. Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped
cream or ice cream if desired.
Variation: For colour, texture and flavour, add 1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries to pear mixture.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings.