Grilled Lamb Shashliki
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - This is one of those easy recipes with a real Mediterranean feel.
If extra guests arrive, stretch the meal with more pita bread, or rice cooked with fried onions and spinach.
Buy some tzatziki, make a Greek salad or serve with thinly sliced cucumbers dressed with sour cream, lemon juice and fresh dill.
- 3 lbs boneless leg or shoulder of lamb 750 g
- 1 cup olive oil 250 mL
- 1/2 cup lemon juice 125 mL
- 1 tsp each of salt and pepper 5 mL
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed in a garlic press 3
- 2 bay leaves, crumbled 2
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill (or 2 tsp/10mL dried dill) 25 mL
- whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 large red onion
Trim the lamb of fat and cut into large, 2-inch cubes.
Combine the oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic, bay leaves and dill in a bowl or sealed plastic bag.
Add the lamb and toss to coat well.
Marinate overnight in the refrigerator or up to 24 hours.
Cut the peppers and onion into large chunks.
Thread the meat on long metal skewers alternating with tomatoes, peppers and onions.
Make sure the meat and vegetables are not crowded on the skewers.
You can also cook the meat and vegetables on separate skewers, which gives you more control and ensures the vegetables don't overcook.
Grill the meat skewers over direct medium high heat for 8 minutes for rare, or 10-12 minutes for medium, turning three or four times during cooking.
Grill vegetables until starting to char but still crisp.
Serve lamb and grilled vegetables over rice or wrapped in a pita bread with tzatziki on the side.
- Good quality pita bread
- A jar of roasted hot peppers
- Yogurt and cucumber tzatziki or Greek salad from the deli counter
- Fruity sangria or fresh mint tea
- Sliced oranges and take-out baklava for dessert
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings