Marinated Tomatoes & Red Onion on Tuscan Toast
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Bring a taste of Italy to any gathering with these savory snacks.
- 1/4 cup olive oil 50 mL
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar 45 mL
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 5 mL
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed 1
- 1/4 tsp sugar 1 mL
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Ontario Greenhouse Tomatoes, 2
- halved, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced 1
- 12 slices coarse Italian-style bread 12
- Plain or garlic-flavored olive oil
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese 12
- Chopped parsley
In medium bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in tomatoes and red onion. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes to blend flavors.
Drain off marinade. Lightly brush both sides of each bread slice with oil.
Broil each side 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Top with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles. Divide tomato and onion mixture among bread slices. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Serving Size: Makes 12 appetizers