Stephanie's Berry Berry Shortcakes
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 3 cups (750 ml) Five Roses All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest (opt.)
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) cold butter, cut in cubes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried blueberries, or currants
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) buttermilk, or milk
- milk / sugar / whipped cream or ice cream
- Berries (or seasonal fruit), sweetened to taste
Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F).
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Cut in butter using pastry cutter or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in dried fruit.
Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Gather into a ball and place on lightly floured surface; knead gently about 8 times until smooth.
Roll or pat to about 3/4" (2 cm) thick. Cut into 8 large or 12 medium rounds using a floured cutter.
Place on baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 14 to 18 min. or until golden brown. Split in half while warm; serve with cream or ice cream and fruit.