Bistro Potato Salad with Caramelized Onions
Contributed by: NAPSA
Caramelized Onions Sweeten Salads, Pizzas And More
(NAPSA) - When you want to sweeten a dish, just turn to onions-caramelized onions. When sauteed, onions soften in texture and mellow in flavor.
Caramelized onions can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated for up to five days. To prepare, simply saute onions in oil for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft and golden at low or medium temperature. If desired, stir in a teaspoon of thyme, rosemary or another favorite herb.
Caramelized onions add a sweet tangy taste to a variety of warm-weather dishes:
- Toss crisp spinach leaves with hot caramelized onions, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts and warm vinaigrette.
- Serve grilled steak, chicken or fish with a side of caramelized onions.
- Poach sea bass or other firm white fish and serve on a bed of caramelized onions, steamed baby carrots and dill sprigs.
- Create a gourmet pizza with caramelized onions, feta cheese and walnuts.
- Try this updated potato salad recipe, inspired by a country French dish:
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds small red potatoes
- Boiling salted water
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped dill leaves (or 1 tsp. dried dill weed)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
Caramelize onions as previously described. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill in covered container. Boil potatoes 20 to 35 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and chill in covered container.
Combine mayonnaise, dill leaves, mustard, lemon juice and sugar. Slice chilled potatoes and brush a thin glaze of the dilled mayonnaise over tops. To arrange salad, spoon onions onto plate, spreading into 10- to 12-inch round. Make overlapping circles of glazed sliced potatoes over onions.
Spoon remaining dilled mayonnaise into center. If desired, garnish with fresh herbs or a few arugula leaves.
For more recipes, send a self-addressed, stamped business-size envelope to: The National Onion Association, Dept. MT, 822 7th Street, Suite 510, Greeley, CO 80631
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings