Courtesy of 1001Recipes2Send.com
Apple and Spinach Salad
Contributed by: News Canada
- 8 cups torn spinach leaves 2L
- 2 Ontario apples, thinly sliced 2
- (such as Cortland, Crispin (Mutsu),
- Empire, Golden Delicious, Idared, Jonagold, McIntosh, Royal Gala, Russet)
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans 125 mL
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces 4 slices
- 1 small onion, diced 1
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced 500g
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar 50mL
- 1/4 cup maple syrup 50 ml
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until desired crispness; remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
Add onion and mushrooms to bacon drippings; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
Stir in apple cider vinegar and maple syrup; boil 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
Place spinach, apples, pecans and bacon bits in salad bowl or arrange on individual salad plates. Toss salad with warm dressing or spoon over salad on plates.
Serving Size: Makes 4 servings