Surprise Meat Loaf Squares
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 cup eggplant; pared, finelychopped
- 1/2 cup onion; chopped, 1 med
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oats; quick cooking
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 16 oz tomatoes; stewed, 1 can
- 1 each clove garlic; minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the meat, eggplant, onion, egg, milk, oats, 1 1/2 ts salt and the basil together.
Spread the mixture into an ungreased baking pan 8x8x2" or 9x9x2".
Bake uncovered for 45 to 50 minutes.
Drain off the excess fat.
Mix the tomatoes, garlic, cornstarch and 3/4 ts salt in a small saucepan.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils.
Boil and stir for 1 minute.
Cut the meat loaf into squares and top with the tomato sauce when you serve it.
Any type of summer squash can be substituted for the eggplant in this recipe.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings