Beef Barley Soup
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 4 lb cross cut beef shanks
- 8 cup water
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup barley
- 8 mushrooms (halved)
- 1/2 medium bunch broccoli (cut in 1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 carrots (cut in bite size pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
Heat oil in dutch oven and brown beef shanks.
Remove meat from dutch oven and pour off fat.
Return shanks to pot; add water, tomatoes, onions, salt and pepper.
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for one hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove meat and cut into bit-size pieces.
Skim fat from liquid; return meat to pot, add barley and bring to boil.
Reduce heat simmer covered for 40 minutes.
Add broccoli, carrots, mushrooms and thyme.
Simmer covered for another 40 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings